Airlines for America has hired Josh Saltzman, chief of staff to Rep. Pete Sessions, R-Texas, to serve as vice president of global government affairs.
Saltzman has worked with Sessions for nearly 10 years as the Texas Republican has moved up the ladder and become more well-known for his strong pro-business stance. Sessions is chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee and has been a member of the House Rules Committee for 14 years. Saltzman began as a legislative director for Sessions in 2003, was named deputy chief of staff in 2007, and became chief of staff in 2009. Previously he worked for Rep. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., and Ed Royce, R-Calif.
Saltzman joins at Airlines of America several other former congressional and White House aides:
- Christopher Brown, a former congressional staffer on the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure who last year was named vice president of legislative and regulatory policy;
- Christine Burgeson, a former legislative assistant in the George W. Bush White House, former legislative affairs officer in the Office of Management and Budget and former aide to Sen. Trent Lott, R-Miss.;
- Nicholas Calio, a former lobbyist for Citigroup Management Corp., former legislative affairs assistant to President Bush, and former congressional aide;
- Sean Kennedy, former special assistant for legislative affairs to President Obama and former chief of staff to Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo.;
- Sharon Pinkerton, a former assistant administrator for the Federal Aviation Administration and counsel to John L. Mica, R-Fla., then chairman of the House Aviation Subcommittee;
- Shelley Rubino, former chief of staff for Rep. John B. Larson, D-Conn.
Airlines for America, previously known as the Air Transport Association of America Inc., reported $1.13 million in lobbying expenses in the first quarter of 2012 to lobby on more than 20 measures:
- H.CON.RES.112: Establishing the budget for the United States Government for fiscal year 2013 and setting forth appropriate budgetary levels for fiscal years 2014 through 2022.
- H.R.1373: To direct the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration to issue an order regarding secondary cockpit barriers.
- H.R.2017: Continuing Appropriations Act, 2012
- H.R.2072: Export-Import Bank Reauthorization Act of 2012
- H.R.2594: European Union Emissions Trading Scheme Prohibition Act of 2011
- H.R.2898: Regulation Moratorium and Jobs Preservation Act of 2011
- H.R.3011: Transportation Security Administration Authorization Act of 2011
- H.R.3116: Department of Homeland Security Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012
- H.R.3630: Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012
- H.R.3632: Basic Airline Services to Improve Customer Satisfaction Act
- H.R.386: Securing Aircraft Cockpits Against Lasers Act of 2011
- H.R.3867: Travel Transparency Act
- H.R.658: FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012
- H.R.71: FAMS Augmentation Act of 2011
- H.R.712: Baggage Fee Fairness Act of 2011
- H.R.729: Airline Passenger Bill of Rights Act of 2011
- S.1438: Regulation Moratorium and Jobs Preservation Act of 2011
- S.1546: Department of Homeland Security Authorization Act of 2011
- S.1547: Export-Import Bank Reauthorization Act of 2011
- S.1549: American Jobs Act of 2011
- S.1596: Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2012
- S.1913: Basic Airline Services to Improve Customer Satisfaction Act
- S.1918: Fair Airline Industry Revenue Act of 2011
- S.1956: European Union Emissions Trading Scheme Prohibition Act of 2011
- S.223: FAA Air Transportation Modernization and Safety Improvement Act
- S.2233: Jobs Originated through Launching Travel Act